It started out as a Cub blog with cuss words. I'm still cussin'; it's the Cub part I'm a little squishy on these days.

The Sloth is not intended for younger or sensitive readers!
N
POISON


Illini Basketball
Bruce, we gave you tha keys, and THIS is what you brought home?


¿Dónde está mi dinero, las rameras?


Site Meter

Tuesday, May 4


Mike D.

Mike, I'm honoring you with your own post.

Mike has consistently chided my cynicism, and he is living under the impression that this is a New Day in Cubs history. He has faith that this is a good team, he has faith that Hendry knows what he's doing, and he has faith that Trib Corp is doing everything it can to put out a winner.

I just don't have the heart to form a new crater in the earth and stick you in it today, Mike.

Just let me square you up with how it looks from my side of the fence.

The Cubs have not appeared in the postseason two years in a row since 1907-08. If and when they do, then maybe it's a New Era.

The Cubs have not had winning seasons twice in a row since 1971-72. If and when they do, then maybe it's a New Era.

The Cubs have not signed the most valuable free agent since Andre Dawson in 1987. If and when they do, then it's definitely a New Era.

The Cubs have finished April with a winning record about a bazillion times since 1969. They have finished September with a winning record 11 times since then, 10 if you don't count the 81 wins in 1977.

Until they have a winning track record to point to, then I am going to have a hard time being convinced that we've turned a corner.

|

Home