It started out as a Cub blog with cuss words. I'm still cussin'; it's the Cub part I'm a little squishy on these days.

The Sloth is not intended for younger or sensitive readers!
N
POISON


Illini Basketball
Bruce, we gave you tha keys, and THIS is what you brought home?


¿Dónde está mi dinero, las rameras?


Site Meter

Monday, March 15


Trying to keep up with my end of our bargain...

Frankly, nothing so far has happened this spring that would contradict my low opinion of Matt Clement. He has his supporters in Cub Land, but I gotta say at this point, he is a real tough sell. I have already expressed my reasons why we should have traded him already, once Maddux was signed. Juan Cruz hasn't done anything to support MY side of the argument, true. But it's not like there aren't others in the pipeline.

Wavin' Wendell Kim, the sawed-off third base proton accelerator, is a subject of some controversy amongst the peanut gallery. Taken by himself, it certainly appears like he doesn't do a good job. The Cubs have an more-than-average number of runners thrown out at the plate, and an average number of runners score, period. So it is hard to argue with a fan, unhappy at his performance.

My take on it stems from the fact that in most cases, a manager and his coaches need to be considered as a unit. Dusty brought him here, Dusty supports him, and I basically see a vote against Kim as a vote against Dusty.

So do I vote against Dusty?

Hell, noooo. Jim the Hekeler from the Coven wanted to know how I could hate Sammy Sosa, when he has brought me so much enjoyment. Excuse me? Jim, listen up. I haven't enjoyed a single minute of the Sammy Sosa Experience, from the moment he came here as Larry Himes' pet project from the Sux, to his putting his personal quest for 30/30 in front of team goals, the overblown kiss-fest in 1998 with the other swollen freak, McGwire, his frequent and curious homelife problems, his dalliance with people I just cannot fucking STAND like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, and ending with Corkgate.

Dusty Baker, on the other hand, also does things I wonder about, starting with his coaching staff. Two pitching coaches, a windmilling moron at third base, his defensiveness with the press, tax evasion, his falling out with his former employer, so on and so on. I may sour on him in the long run.

But right now, all I know that since he has been here, the Cubs have gone from a profit center for the Tribune, to a profit center for the Tribune that wins playoff series, attracts the best free agents, is favored to win the whole NL this year, and to a man, his players back him. That's good, that's nice, and I have no quarrel with any of it, and if the package includes Wendell snotchewing Kim, then I have to step back and consider the whole, and say it is Good.

(ripping the ballot in half)....Coach Stays!

|

Home