It started out as a Cub blog with cuss words. I'm still cussin'; it's the Cub part I'm a little squishy on these days.

The Sloth is not intended for younger or sensitive readers!
N
POISON


Illini Basketball
Bruce, we gave you tha keys, and THIS is what you brought home?


¿Dónde está mi dinero, las rameras?


Site Meter

Wednesday, February 4


I am at peace with this

And, I suggest that you do the same.

If Pudge Rodriguez was truly a quality individual, he wouldn't let his agent railroad him into signing an over-inflated contract with the worst team in baseball. The fact is, Pudge wrecked us in the playoffs, but was just a touch above ordinary in the regular season. He would be better with us than he will be with the Tigers, but he is truly gonna suck this year, and the future doesn't look bright for him, either.

I do not hold the Cubs responsible for not giving him $40 million dollars, for what I gathered would be a one-season push for a pennant.

If Greg Maddux really wanted to play for the Cubs, he would have done what Todd Walker did, and worked with their original offer. He has been waiting for a West Coast opportunity, and he will probably end up pitching for the Dodgers for the same money that the Cubs offered him.

I do not hold the Cubs responsible for not signing Maddux, for they made him a fair initial offer, were willing to bargain with him, and it is not their fault that they don't currently reside in California.

It appears that the plan for 2004 will be to start out with Cruz in the rotation, and if he doesn't work out, if Zambrano does not recover from his late-season swoon, if Wood's arm falls off, OR if Clement's brand of mediocrity proves to be unsufficient, then there will be budget for trading-deadline upgrades.

This is NOT what I wanted. This is NOT the recipe for a sure-fire run to the pennant, and there is NOT any guarantee that they will even finish above .500 this year.

But, and I truly believe this, campers, this is the best the Tribune can do. I believe that they tried their best with Maddux, and I believe that giving $40M to Pudge is a monumental mistake. I am fine with this. I am ready for the season.

Let the games begin.

|

Home