It started out as a Cub blog with cuss words. I'm still cussin'; it's the Cub part I'm a little squishy on these days.

The Sloth is not intended for younger or sensitive readers!
N
POISON


Illini Basketball
Bruce, we gave you tha keys, and THIS is what you brought home?


¿Dónde está mi dinero, las rameras?


Site Meter

Thursday, February 19


I think I need to clear up something

There are those who don't think I am excited about the Cubs getting Maddux back. Who went out to everyone's blog yesterday, wishing them a Happy Mad Dog Day? Huh?

Like most of the rest of you, I am absolutely feeling all warm-n-fuzzy that our guy, the One that Never Should Have Left, is back. I garron-tee I will watch MORE Cubs baseball this year, simply to see him.

I just cannot go back on my original premise, which is that we need a leadoff man and a better hitting catcher more than we needed Maddux. There are those who compare him to Estes. My thing about that, is, if Maddux was not here this year, we would use Juan Cruz in the slot. I honestly believe that the incremental value of Maddux vs. Cruz, at least on the mound, is not enough to push us over the top.

Of course, if the team was planning on using Jamey Wright in the 5-hole, then Maddux looks bigger than ever.

And, of course, I think I love Juan Cruz more than most. I feel the same about him as I did about a certain slight rookie pitcher back in 1986, and I think we know how THAT movie turned out. I could be wrong...I loved Gary Scott, too...if not Kevin Orie.

PS. I gotta real problem here.

|

Home