It started out as a Cub blog with cuss words. I'm still cussin'; it's the Cub part I'm a little squishy on these days.

The Sloth is not intended for younger or sensitive readers!
N
POISON


Illini Basketball
Bruce, we gave you tha keys, and THIS is what you brought home?


¿Dónde está mi dinero, las rameras?


Site Meter

Friday, August 8


The Stone Pony

One more thing today. Steve Stone. Am I the only one who thinks about how much of a waste it is that he is merely a color man on the TV? Sure, he's the best. He is also, in my opinion, the best baseball mind in the whole organization.

How does a non-athletic looking Jewish guy win 25 games one year? Because NOBODY knows the game better than he. For each situation, he knows: 1) what is going to work; 2) what isn't going to work; and 3) what is going to happen.

The question is: is he best suited to be a general manager, field manager, bench coach or color man? Now, I have heard that he isn't much, interpersonal-wise. And I think that his constant presence would not lend well to such a front-line job as field manager. I think THAT position would be best served by a psychologist, a motivational speaker, or some other charlatan. He might be an outstanding bench coach, but he would never tolerate the cut in pay.

How about GM? Sure, he's ego driven, but aren't most GMs? Furthermore, the GM position is more macro, more big picture. Stoney is the master of the moment, is he really a big picture guy? It sure would be interesting to find out. I wish we could, but for the moment, I guess all we can do is sit back and listen to him whip out his crystal ball about five times a game and predict the immediate future. It never ceases to amaze me.

|

Home